Thursday, January 10, 2019

At some point in our lives, we have experienced feeling that God is far away. And as I am writing this, I am in one of those moments. Recently, God opened my eyes to how I’ve been living my life in sin. I’ve been caught up in a bad habit, and He convicted me of my prideful heart. I was devastated to see the state I was in. I humbly asked for forgiveness and sat there broken at His feet. Still, I am grateful for His compassion. “… the Lord disciplines those He loves…” Hebrews 12:6

I would like to share with you 5 tips on what to do when God feels distant.

1. Don’t rely on your emotions.
It’s so easy to let ourselves get caught up in what we feel, but the Bible says, “The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?” Jeremiah 17:9  We can’t trust our emotions. Our emotions don’t always tell the truth but God’s Word does. Turn to the Bible for truth.

2. Identify WHY.
Identify what’s keeping you far away from God or why God feels far away. Are there any barriers between your relationship? Are there distractions? Have you sinned? Is there a sin you have not confessed and repented for?
Remember that sin separates us from God. (Isaiah 59:2) But there is hope because “if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9

3. Believe that this is an opportunity for intimacy with God.
Being in this state of “feeling God is far away” is really heartbreaking. I have cried almost every night praying and asking God to make His presence known. And honestly, it is in these moments I become vulnerable and realize that God is the truest desire of my soul and that He is all I need. These lonely times can be an opportunity for us to cling to Him, to run to Him, even when He seems so far away and yet trusting that He is there.

4. Seek Him daily/consistently.
I would like to suggest that you would set a time in which you can have your moment of prayer, Bible reading, and worship. A precious moment to spend some alone time with God. And stick to it. Even if your emotions tell you otherwise. If we give up spending time with God because we can’t feel Him, we might drift farther away. Talk to Him every minute of the day. Talk to Him about anything. Just talk to Him. Maintain that connection.

5. Hold on to His promises.
God has promised that He will never leave us nor forsake us. (Hebrews 13:5) And that He is with us even unto the end of the age. (Matthew 28:20) And keep in mind that nothing can ever separate us from His love. (Romans 8:37-39)

When I was a little girl, I once read a quote that stuck. I can't remember who wrote it but it says something like this. “We are like fish submerged in water. There is never a moment that God is not with us.”

Hang in there, dear friend. Your breakthrough is coming. God will reveal Himself to you. Even in these moments you can’t feel Him, He is there. He is there. Believe it.

Want to Share?

Tweet Share

Hearts Not Troubled . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates