Sunday, May 5, 2019




The world celebrated National Honesty Day last April 30. It got me thinking about the truth spoken by others which greatly inspired me and my mind also opened a bucket of all the lies I’ve been told.

I have met so many people who have told me one thing but eventually; I found out it wasn't the truth. It's disappointing but I have to ask myself, am I like this too?

There are moments I am not completely honest with myself and with others. Why is it sometimes easier to lie than to tell the truth?

For me, it's much easier to lie than to speak the truth when I am hiding something or if I know telling the truth will embarrass me. When we are dishonest, we can create stories and make up excuses to our benefit. But by being honest, we become vulnerable and expose ourselves to the raw truth. It is still dependable that the truth will set you free.

Only very few people remain absolutely honest and live life with integrity. They bring inspiration for others to have the courage to live an honest life.

What is honesty? Let's see what some of the wisest men has to say about it.

“Honesty is more than not lying. It is truth telling, truth speaking, truth living, and truth loving.” ― James E. Faust

“Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.” ― Albert Einstein

“Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” ― Thomas Jefferson
 “Honesty is of God and dishonesty of the devil; the devil was a liar from the beginning.” ― Joseph B. Whirthlin

Why is it important to tell the truth?

First, let’s look at who we worship.


Jesus answered, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.” John 14:6

God is not a man that He should lie. Numbers 23:19

Because he who is blessed in the earth will be blessed by the God of truth. Isaiah 65:16

The Lord detests lying lips, but delights in people who are trustworthy. Proverbs 12:22

Why does God hate lies? 


Because satan is the father of lies!


You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. John 8:44

Who are we serving when we utter lies? 


Definitely not Jesus.

Now that we know the importance of telling the truth, let’s discuss the steps we can take to stop the lying habit.

             1. Read the Word.


“Father, sanctify them by your truth, because your word is truth.”  John 17:17

We start by filling our minds and hearts up with the Scriptures. Reading the Bible is one of the best life-changing decisions you’ll ever make. God’s Word is powerful. When you soak yourself in the Bible, you will see for yourself that it is a sin to lie. 

I have designed a 15 day Scripture Writing Plan that focuses on honesty.

 You can grab a notebook to write these verses daily and memorize them! Or you can just read and memorize. When you fill your mind with the Bible, you will have a weapon to combat temptations to lie. 

            2. Confess and repent.

Once you recognize the weight of your sins, you will long for a Savior. God will lead you to repentance. When we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us from our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

From this verse, we believe that God is FAITHFUL, JUST AND MERCIFUL. He has the power to wash away our filthiness and lies. God is able to give us a new heart.

            3. Recognize WHY you lie.

Why do you lie? Are you ashamed, embarrassed, or protecting your pride? Is it a habit you inherited from your parents?

Once you know the reasons why you lie, it’s easier for you to design strategies to reverse your lifestyle. Be honest with God about the reasons why you lie. There may be underlying issues which cause you to be dishonest.  Ask God to expose the root issues.

4. Practice telling the truth in every moment.


Ask yourself how you feel and answer honestly. When someone asks you a question, answer genuinely and see how it feels. Practice = progress. Progress is progress no matter how small.

5. Have the courage to be vulnerable.


Telling the truth will sometimes put you in a state of vulnerability. But there is strength in that. Would you rather protect yourself or please God? 

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

You might not know it, but the way you live your life in integrity may secretly inspire others. The truth will set you free. (and others too!)

This is a call to make you live a life of integrity. It takes courage and faith to be honest. But God can provide those for you when you ask Him to. After all, “No legacy is so rich as honesty.” William Shakespeare

Want to Share?

Tweet Share

5 comments

This is great, Rachel! I love how you anchored your insights with God's word and have really thrown down the gauntlet for us to speak the truth in our lives. It's so easy to justify something and not really speak the truth about our actions/attitudes. Thank you for this! I'll be tweeting!

REPLY

Sadly not a lot of people realize the importance of being honest and living honorably. Whenever we lie, we just show people how much our words are worth (nothing).

REPLY

The steps listed is a must to follow. As we read the word and confess our sins little by little we are being change by God. We will never notice we have changed! God gave us a free will.. either we tell the truth or stay dishonest.

REPLY

I think a lot of people try to be honest one way or the other. I myself have told a few that I'm not proud of but as I know I'm not perfect, I just try to be honest as much as I can also. For the people who have wronged us by lying; my prayers for you and for me is to find forgiveness along the way and for them that they also find peace with what they did.

REPLY

Having the courage to be vulnerable is probably one of the hardest things to do! Very nice post! I didn't know April 30th was a world holiday for honesty!

REPLY

Hearts Not Troubled . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates