Monday, May 4, 2020

The Bible says we ought to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ. 

The common question is, "how do we do it?" But have you ever asked "Why?" Why is it important to be aware of our thoughts?

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.  
2 Corinthians 10:5

Today's article focuses on the importance of making sure our thoughts are surrendered to Jesus. We need to establish a firm foundation on the strong effect our minds can have on us.

Why should we take our thoughts captive?

1. We have a daily battle against the devil's lies.

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Ephesians 6:12
This verse reminds us that we struggle with the forces of evil who can whisper lies to us. Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. (1 Peter 5:8) 

We need to be aware of the thoughts that are swirling in our minds because they could be lies that can lead us away from the TRUTH. What is truth? Jesus is. The Bible is.

2. Sin starts with our minds.

"...but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death." James 1:14-15
 
Now where does desire come from? That's right, from our minds. We start to think about something until gradually it consumes us and turns into desire and so on...

Paul says in Romans 1:12, "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - His good, pleasing and perfect will." There is a need for our minds to be purified and renewed.

Replacing the lies with God's Word

Your current pattern of thinking may look like this:

1. You hear the lies.
2. You believe the lies.
3. You confess it with your lips. (Ex. "Why did I do that I'm so stupid!")

But what happens when you replace it with this:

1. You hear God's Word.
2. You believe it & trust in God.
3. You confess His Word with your lips.

Sometimes the lies can hit like a bullet, so fast and damaging that you can't even catch your breath. But in the moment of hurt, try to pause and ask yourself: "Is this true?" "What does God say about this?"

My Testimony

For so long, I have struggled with the thoughts of my past. I could be doing something or just completely be absorbed in a hobby, then out of the blue a thought from my past would pop up! My body would then respond by cringing, clenching my fists, or abruptly closing my eyes tightly, as if that would make the though go away. It is a daily battle but I know that Jesus fights my battles with me.

I am learning to surrender my past to God. Surrender means wholly trusting in the power that God has to cleanse my mind. Fighting my thoughts by my own strength is completely exhausting. I need to TRUST in the power of God first, then take action. When the past comes creeping in, I tell myself, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!" (2 Cor. 5:17)

Conclusion

Nothing beats the power of God's Word to combat the lies. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 says, " All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." Next week, we will learn how we can soak up God's Word to help us in our thought life.

Reading Challenge

For this week, I challenge you to read these chapters:
2 Corinthians 10
1 Peter 5
Ephesians 6
Philippians 4
Psalm 91

After reading, pick a verse that speaks to you and write it on a piece of paper, a notebook, or an index card where you can look at it daily to memorize it.

Songs to Encourage you










Want to Share?

Tweet Share

Hearts Not Troubled . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates